Spreadsheets are the cornerstone of effective business around the work.
They are everywhere - in education, finance, sales, government.
If you show the slightest knowledge of spreadsheets you suddenly become the go to. The pro. The one to notice and get help from. Bosses recognize your skills and your career advancement begins to look really good.
Not only that but mastering spreadsheet skills will suddenly make your life a whole lot easier. You start to learn the shortcuts and vital tools to help you thrive.
Why this course?
In this course, I want to take you on a journey from the basics of using Google Sheets spreadsheets through to mastering the essential tools and formulas that you need to improve your efficiency in the workplace, impress your team and make your administrative life easier.
Plus, having tight spreadsheet skills looks amazing on your resume.
This course is about getting in there and completing real-life projects. Projects that you can take away with you and use in your own personal and business life.
If you are looking for a boring lecture-style course here, then this course isn't for you.
The most interesting courses that I have ever taken are the ones where you can follow along and actively create something. You know, apply my skills immediately with a real context to what I am doing and the reward of accomplishing a task at the end.
I always learn the most from these courses.
In this course, we will go through 3 real-life projects that will take you from the very basics of how Google Sheets works all the way through to developing corporate-level dynamic Google Sheets for your workplace.
Not only will we cover how to use:
- tools like Pivot Tables, Charts, Slicers, Data Validation and Conditional Formatting
- the main functions and formulas you need to ace your Google Sheets work-life
but we will look at:
- spreadsheet design principles
- workflow processes
- develop our shortcut skills, and
- collaborating with others.
What's in the course?
This course is a beast! You will get:
- 45 videos covering all three projects.
- Over 8 hours of video content.
- Each video contains a takeaway summary of what you have covered.
- Starting templates for each project.
- Handy links to further reading or videos.
- Staging templates at strategic points in the course so you can compare your progress.
- A community in the comments section for each video to get support.
- Plus you will walk away with 3 reusable projects that you created.
Who is this course for?
- Beginner to lower intermediate Google Sheets users looking to advance their skills.
- People looking to sharpen their skills and improve their efficiency in Google Sheets
- Anyone looking to better understand spreadsheet design and workflow.
- Someone who knows the benefit of learning through doing and is excited about building some projects as they learn.
Get started with the first Project on me
Yeap. You can dive in and try out the first project for FREE. In this course you will get access to the first project template, lesson notes and follow along as we build a Budget project together.
You’ll learn about the Google Sheets interface, copying and pasting data the correct way, and we will cover formatting and even a bunch of formulas.
Once you have finished the first project you can sign up to finish the rest of the course and really skill up!
We will get a grasp of the basics of working in Google Sheets by creating a basic Budget. First, I will show you around the Google Sheets User Interface (UI) and then dive into some of the fundamentals.
Project Management Sheet
In this project we will create a dynamic Project Management Monitoring Google Sheet, allowing your teams to track their progress and collaborate effectively with each other. We will also explore the benefits of templating data so you don't have to reinvent the wheel each time you need to set up a project.
Here we dive into the academic world and create a Gradebook, specifically designed for reuse. We will explore how to analyse your dataset with dynamic dashboards. We'll look at advanced formula construction, integrating live data from other Google Sheets, pivot tables, charts and much more.
- 001 | Creating your first file (6:53)
- 002 | Google Sheets User Interface basics (6:48)
- 003 | Copy the budget data into your Google Sheet (6:36)
- 004 | Identifying income and expense values (6:46)
- 005 | Making the expense data negative (8:54)
- 006 | Create a rolling total of profit and loss (6:02)
- 007 | Adding a month and year column (7:43)
- 008 | Formatting your budget to make it look sharp (16:17)
- 009 | Validating the data in your cells with Data Validation (11:49)
- 010 | Creating a chart to display your profits and losses over time (7:19)
- 011 | Creating different views of your data with filters (6:21)
- 001 | Project Introduction (8:28)
- 002 | Creating the Project Headers (16:27)
- 003 | Data Validating Dates (4:30)
- 004 | Working Out the Duration (11:34)
- 005 | Creating Dropdown Menus (7:10)
- 006 | Styling and Custom Conditional Formatting (15:49)
- 007 | Creating the Gantt Chart (8:37)
- 008 | Improve Readability of our Main Sheet (2:04)
- 009 | Protecting Sheets and Ranges (8:39)
- 010 | Creating a Dynamic Template Sheet (14:31)
- 011 | Importing the General Information From the Main Sheet (4:25)
- 012 | Building a Task Breakdown (17:08)
- 013 | Adding in Resources, Links and Notes Sections (8:15)
- 014 | Template Final Touches (5:58)
- 015 | Using the Template (3:27)
- 016 | Collaborating and Sharing (7:49)
- 001 | Project Introduction (5:42)
- 002 | The 'Paste Grades' Tab (10:19)
- 003 | Add Core Data (8:16)
- 004 | Importing Core Data From Another Sheet (25:28)
- 005 | Gradebook: Setup (7:00)
- 006 | Gradebook: Inserting Summary Data (13:08)
- 007 | Gradebook: Style and Formatting (12:26)
- 008 | Gradebook: Adding Bump, Pass-Fail & Letter Grades (21:37)
- 009 | Final Course: Entering Data (16:23)
- 010 | Final Course: Chart Data (9:51)
- 011 | Final Course: Slicers (7:20)
- 012 | All Sections: Pass and Fail (14:21)
- 013 | All Sections: Letter Grades (12:02)
- 014 | By Sections: Setup (16:02)
- 015 | By Section: Summary (21:19)
- 016 | By Section: Pass-Fail (10:52)
- 017 | By Section: Letter Grade (16:08)
I’m an experienced Google Workspace educator and developer.
I’ve been working in education around the world as a teacher, trainer, administrator and manager for over 15 years. I’ve always liked to teach, and blending it with my love of tech is a real joy for me.
In 2020, Google kindly made me a Google Developer Expert (GDE) for Google Workspace for my educational outreach in Google Sheets and Google Apps Script.
In recent years I’ve had the pleasure of building the administrative backbone of a 140 teacher, 3,500 student-strong university preparatory year deanship program. Migrating it to Google Workspace and providing automation solutions for our heavy administrative demands so that the teachers could focus on what they are great at – teaching.
These days, I’m a small to medium business administrative automation consultant and educator. I generally try and achieve these ends by building no-code Google Workspace and Google Apps Script solutions.
I also, provide tutorials and courses on my website Yagisanatode. I try and keep things informal and fun while packing a lot of detail that you can choose to read through in its entirety or just pick out the good bits. I spend a lot of time researching my material and I hope you get a lot out of it. After all, it is as much of a resource for me, as it is for you.
Just want to grab part of the course?
If you just want to learn how to build just one of the projects. Or get a taste of the course from the free Project 1: Simple Budget then check out the options below.